Browser on slower machines

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 27 21:05:08 UTC 2003

"Tim Rowledge" <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> said:
> And lastly as part of this minor rant, somebody with an affection for
> the profiler, please please spend some time working out how to speed up
> morphic stuff generally. The comparison with the performance of the MVC
> stuff is seriously embarrassing. Even TTF fonts go fast in MVC (excpet
> for the mess that the window backup bits make by losing the antialised
> quality).
> </rantette>

I don't know of any smoking guns that greatly affect the system as a whole.
The only thing I know to do is to go after specific problem cases one at a
time, which unfortunately is a lot of work.

If there aren't (m)any big bottlenecks, then there must be a bunch of
smaller ones. That means that with each fix you may not get a massive
measurable improvement, maybe just above the margin of error in measuring,
which tends to slow acceptance - "Well, this doesn't make a big difference,
so its not needed."

Eddie