[ANN] Network rewrite (hopefully) final version

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Sat Jun 7 22:23:30 UTC 2003

Hi all,

a transatlantic flight, a root canal and a week long meeting marathon
later ;-)

http://www.squeaklet.com/sm/network-0.6.sar

I couldn't register it on sm, something wrong with my password and
sending a new one...

Some comments could use a little more work, but I want to get the code
out and hopefully into the update stream.
For those who didn't see version 0.4 and 0.5 please read the what's new
section in the preamble, as there are quite a few changes to Socket
calls, especially the whole timeout handling.

This version incorporates changes suggested by quite a few people, a
great thank you to all of them!

Cheers

Michael

---------------

"Change Set:		networkRewrite-mir
Date:			7 June 2003
Author:			Michael Rueger

Rewrite of the most of the network code in Squeak 3.6 after removals.

What's new from 0.5:
- some minor issues fixed
- SocketStream now directly supports timeouts

What's new from 0.4:
-bug fixes in SocketStream
-SocketStream now supports a time out
-SocketStream auto flush: if false, everything is written at once, if
true, data is written when the out buffer is full
-major change in some method semantics (see below)
-all wait calls are now named xxxFor: instead of xxUntil: and use
seconds instead of the weird milli seconds deadline
-waitForDataFor: now does NOT return a boolean anymore but rather
signals exceptions
-new call waitForData that never times out (useful for e.g. chat clients)
-new API for receiving data:
	-receiveAvailableData fetches all currently available data without
waiting, may return no new data
	-receiveSomeData like above, but fetches data only once, no looping
	-receiveData waits until some data is available, guarantees to return
data (unless an exception occurs), once it has data it does not wait for
more, does NOT time out
	-receiveDataTimeout like receiveData but with time out parameter
	-receiveDataWithTimeout like above but using default time out

What's new from 0.3:
-bug fixes (thanks to Goran and Luciano)
-fixes up obsolete references to removed and renamed classes
-SocketStream has now nextLine (crlf), nextLineLf and nextLineCrLF
-Socket>>connectTo:port: now waits until the connection is established.
connectNonBlockingTo:port: implements the old functionality.