Telnetting into Squeeek.

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Wed Jun 25 18:12:37 UTC 2003

David T. Lewis wrote:

> Sure, no problem. I have this working such that Squeak runs headless
> as a teletype "command shell" that you can actually use as your Unix
> login shell. This is with a Squeak command shell connected to standard
> input/output/error pipes, so pty support may still be required in order
> to make everything work right. In any case, at the moment I still can't
> pass my own SUnit tests follow a rather extensive rewrite of some of
> the command shell and OSProcess aio handling stuff, so I have not
> released it yet. Sorry, hopefully RSN.

That would defenitely be what I would need to base this on, if I ever
overcome enough lazyness to continue....

> > The major drawback to this approch are severalfold:

> VM, combined with some primitive support to forward IO events to the
> Squeak VM (the primitives are in the currently released OSProcess
> plugin, but image-side support is stuck in the aforementioned stuff
> that won't yet pass my SUnit tests).

eeek, now that I know about this, I'll have a look at it....

[ Advanced IPC ]
> Definitely a gawdawfal hack,

;)))))))))
This is amusing because I designed an OS which makes this downright
streight-forward.... Given today's usage patterns My OS should be the
one battling windows today!

>  but you could just stick it behind an inetd service or something of
> the sort.

I was under the impression that inetd was a decoy program meant only to
confuse the new user and serves no useful purpose... The _ONLY_ Way that
I have found to run ftpd is to start it manually by "./ftpd - D". Why
the primary means of starting the ftpd-service is by simuly launching
the daemon (without the -D) is entirely beyond me....

> More importantly from the point of view of the user, how do you
> conceptually keep track of shared object memories?

I had posted a piece about my Sphere operating system design to this
list, a while back....

The approcah I would take would be to implement the changes described in
that posting....

>  It's not a single-user system at that point, so you are into Gemstone
> territory  now.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "gemstone teritory"....

> Not really. A multithreaded VM might be nice, but you only really
> *need* it to prevent blocking on IO, which can be handled through other
> techniques as noted above.

It seems to have this problem when loading code updates....

> > Testimonial: I wasted 2,000 hours using Linux.

> And another 2000 hours "wasted" on Squeak, neither of which I regret in
> the least.

When I say I wasted 2,000 hours I mean I was forced to spend that time
doing things that would either have not been required at all in DOS or
required 10,000,000,000:1 as much time as it took me to do the same task
in DOS.

--
Testimonial: I wasted 2,000 hours using Linux.

http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/