The Blue Book turns 20

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sun Mar 2 14:59:07 UTC 2003

Am Sonntag, 02.03.03 um 07:28 Uhr schrieb Martin McClure:

>> On the copyright page, my copy says "Reprinted with corrections, May
>> 1983".
>>
>> -Duane
>
> That's the same printing as the copy I bought in 1983.
>
> I also have a copy that my wife found in a used book store in 1997 for
> $3.00 (she bought it immediately -- she knows me very well) -- that
> one says "Reprinted with corrections, July 1985".

I bought mine via bookfinder.com from a small store in Philadelphia two
years ago. The internet rules! It's the May 1983 print, and still in
excellent condition. The price was below $10, plus shipping to Germany
(also below $10) :-)

The store obviously didn't know what gem they had. Maybe they figured
that no one will want to buy a computer book from the 80ies. Currently
there are three copies listed at Bookfinder with each one well above
$120!

For everyone who wants to get the right book: It's titled
"Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation", a later edition
misses the "Implementation" part
(http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/smalltalk/bluebook/
bluebook_imp_toc.html).

-- Bert