Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Mar 13 16:59:21 UTC 2003

I have seen that brought up as a possibility. But I don't know that I've
seen done in practice or in court. I could be wrong.

I've seen discussion about licenses being revoked but don't know
(personally) if its been done in such a situation as this. ?

If we do nothing and do not clean up the license, then this will always
be hanging over our heads, if it is a true risk or ability. To me this
makes it important to make the attempt.

If this is truely something Apple could do at anypoint, then our work is
always at risk, regardless. If it isn't something that could be done,
then no harm it trying.

It would seem to me that Apple could improve its legal position by
transfering rights to a non-profit corporation, thereby releasing Squeak.

If Apple were to revoke the current license it would not be good PR
within the open source community. It would not be beneficial to the
bridge they are building.

I really don't see Apple as the bad guy in this. (I may be naive.)
If they were I don't think we would have Squeak with its current license.
I see Apple as a business which simply needs to cover it legal backside.

Jimmie Houchin