Squeak History

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Mon Mar 17 21:07:16 UTC 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:54:50 -0600 (CST), Aaron J Reichow
<reic0024 at d.umn.edu> wrote:

> I don't know if I'd call PocketSmalltalk a "full-scale" Smalltalk- you
> can't do development in PST *on* the Palm device itself.

Well, I guess you could look at it that way... I was thinking more along
the lines of having a proper VM, with an interpreter and garbage collector,
and a reasonably complete class hierarchy.

I think it would be possible to extend Pocket Smalltalk to include a
compiler in the system, and the ability to save the image on the device
after starting it. Probably not trivial, but it should be doable.

Later,
Jon