Why so few garage processors? (was Re: Squeak History / TinyMachines)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Wed Mar 19 19:24:14 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Gimme money.
>
> There are several of us reasonably qualified to do something like this
> but where is the money going to come from? It's a sizable project that
> would involve a number of people that would need enough income to
> survive the experience; sorry but I'm not in a position to subsidize any
> of this.
>
> Once it existed what could we do with it to recoup the costs?  Competing
> against Intel/Motorola/whoever is not a game for fun - unless you can
> pay for said fun.
>
> tim
> --
> Useful random insult:- One pearl short of a necklace.

As I understand Ned  - his baseline argument is that such a project
nowadays should be relatively easy to do with standard FPGA parts
and stuff. It is not about competing. It is just about trying out
old new ways of doing things and having great fun.
Just to see what happens. Sharing the x-perience of achievieng
something what people normally consider to be hard.

If it isn't fun and easy to do we shoudn't do it.

And perhaps there is a hardware champion out there would
assemble a few boards for the more software oriented types
to play with. Just a PC board with an ethernet connection
and a facility to program the FPGA.

-- Hannes