[ANN] Closure Compiler

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Thu Mar 27 01:26:24 UTC 2003

Thanks Dean --

Disney did not at all "acquire" Squeak in any way. We put it on the
Squeak.org website (not in any way owned or controlled by Disney) in
Sept 1996 while we were still at Apple, and we started using it from
that public website when we arrived at Disney a month later. There is
no distinction of any kind that exists between the use we made of
Squeak while at Disney and the use made by any of the rest of the
participants of the Squeak list.
      Similar to Duane Maxwell et al. at exobox, we did a few things
that we considered "Disney content" (e.g. a multiplayer game that
Michael tells me is still going at EPCOT) and many things that we
considered "opensource".  The latter were promptly (within a few
days) put out into the public update stream and releases and we had a
separate internal update stream and releases for the content side of
things. It was all very kosher and very simple. When we left Disney
and set up Viewpoints (our nonprofit public benefit 501(c)(3)
research institute), we continued to use the Squeak.org stuff, as we
indeed do today. We left the "Disney content" behind.
      I spent quite a few hours and days in the first several years
explaining to everyone at Disney from Michael Eisner on down -- and
especially Disney lawyers -- what the opensource agreement actually
meant: the most important part of which was that Disney would likely
get greater benefits in the end from allowing our stuff to go into
the opensource code because it would likely spread faster and be seen
as less threatening if Disney (or any other large company -- like MS
and Sun) didn't own it and couldn't control it. After a few years of
this, all in the company accepted this argument and were happy to go
along with it.

In other words ...

Cheers,

Alan