How to pick an ARM processor

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Mar 28 14:57:49 UTC 2003

On Thursday 27 March 2003 23:01, Frank Sergeant wrote:
> I've been doing some embedded system work with the Hitachi H8/532 but
> have been thinking about possibly switching to the ARM.  Very low
> power is my main goal but if I could get that and also have a 32-bit
> CPU that would be a great combination.  Do you have any thoughts
> about how to go about deciding /which/ ARM variant to use and which
> manufacturer?  There seem to be a confusing variety of them.

You don't say what you want to do. I will suppose you will run Squeak on
this thing, which will rule out the slowests ARMs (try running it on a
100MHz 486 to see what I mean). And I will guess that you want
multimedia stuff - if not the suggestions below aren't very good ones.

Intel has come out with some interesting chips in its new PXA26x family:

  http://www.intel.com/design/pca/prodbref/251671.htm

I have no idea about the cost and I hope that the chips themselves are
easier to find than information on their site :-(

ST and TI have put together a standard for multimedia cell phones which
combines a DSP and an ARM9:

http://www.omapi.org/

http://focus.ti.com/omap/docs/omaphomepage.tsp?navigationId=9289&templateId=5663

-- Jecel