to: squeak ministry of metainformation

Robert Withers rwithers12 at attbi.com
Mon May 5 02:33:44 UTC 2003

Bill,

On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 12:10 PM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> For an economics rag, I'm perhaps a little more interested that they
> think
> the flaw in Napster was the central server, not producing an
> infrastructure
> for ripping off people who produce intellectual (ok, most of it falls
> short of
> that<g>) property.

The infrastructure isn't to blame for what the users do with it.  :)
It's a fine line, given that the only purpose of the Grokster and
Morpheus infrastructure is to exchange copyrighted materials.  Whether
or not one agrees with copyright law, it seems it is the responsibility
of the publisher to protect copyrights by restricting content decoding
rather than placing limitations on the infrastructure to exchange
content.

This is probably an important issue for Croquet.  It is also on reason
I am so interested in squeak security (in fits and starts).

> The truly scary thing is how little reading I had to do to get the
> true story on
> Smalltalk, GUIs etc.  The fact that the _computer_ rags don't demand
> their
> authors so inform themselves is sad.

Indeed.   Mainstream industry marketing seems to have gone out of their
way to remove dynamic languages from history.  I really like the
approach of stressing dynamic environments, regardless of the language
used to manipulate that environment, just to avoid that whole battle.

Rob