Squid modules vs. ClassBoxes (was: Squid language)

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Mon May 5 05:00:45 UTC 2003

On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 11:56  AM, Anthony Hannan wrote:

> There are
> many benefits to capturing interfaces and few costs.  Interfaces add
> structure explicitly defining module boundaries.  It also facilitate
> type inference.

Well, as an Objective C progammer, I have to agree.  While Objective C
is as dynamically typed as Smalltalk (it can be a little more typed but
its the programmer's choice), there are protocols and the lovely method
on NSObject>>conformsToProtocol: which lets you know that this object
implements all of the methods defined in a particular protocol (or
interface if you like) which gives you some interesting info on
substitutability pretty quickly.

I like protocols for this reason.

-Todd Blanchard