Harvesting Process is not working

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Nov 3 15:10:50 UTC 2003

"Peter van Rooijen" <squeak at vanrooijen.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > Well, a newbie would hopefully read the "Welcome" window in Squeak and
> > there SqueakMap has a section of its own.
>
> Two comments about that:
>
> 1) The Welcome window contains a lot of text, most of which is not clearly
> relevant to a newbie. (Besides, if you want something to be read before
> people start, you call it Read Me First, not Welcome.)

Well, if people don't want to read it doesn't matter what it is called.
:)

> 2) You suggest that my remark (how to access SqueakMap is not clear) misses
> validity. Here is the text from the SqueakMap section in the Welcome window:
>
> "
> SqueakMap
> An exciting feature which has recently been made available is SqueakMap, a
> package catalog system for Squeak.  As of this release, over 300
> packages/applications have been added to SqueakMap by members of the Squeak
> community.  You can easily browse and install these packages directly in
> Squeak by using the SqueakMap Package Loader, which is available from the
> "open..."/"Package Loader" menu (or, by clicking here).
> "
>
> Where does it talk about the world menu, or say that you left-click on the
> desktop/background, then choose open...\Package Loader?
>
> As you can see, it doesn't. I know this because I _did_ actually read that
> part of the Welcome window when I started with 3.6 and only learned how to
> access SqueakMap by using a menu after I saw it explained elsewhere.

Well, goodie. Fine, it doesn't explain that. But the other window called
"ReadMe.txt" does explain what the World menu is and how to open it.

Sure both these texts can be made even better, and we could rename the
"Package Loader" to "SqueakMap package loader" or whatever. Sure, all
improvements are good.

Peter - I am not sure what it is, but there is something with your style
of posting that gets me in a bad mood. Perhaps it is just me (and if it
is I deeply apologize), I don't know - but perhaps you could be just a
little bit... less accusing?

I am sure you are not doing this on purpose or anything of course.

> Regards,
>
> Peter

regards, Göran