R: Squeak: Italian Version

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Nov 12 21:42:10 UTC 2003

  Ciao, Michele,

  First, often 'translate Squeak means 'eToys translation' in some
contexts.  Can you elaborate a bit more on what you actually want to
do?

  If it is eToys translation, you have a few choices.  I believe that
Diego's work is available in several ways.  If you're interested in,
go to

  http://www.small-land.org

and follow a few links.  You should eventually get to

http://squeak.linex.org/W32/Squeak35-SmallLand-Imagen.zip

  It is somewhat heavily customized version of Squeak, especially its
look, but has nice tools to add a translation dictionary for your
language.  As far as I guessed, choosing 'abrir' -> 'Editor de idioma'
from the world menu will bring up the dictionary editor.  (I think
there is an English-user friendly package of his work called 'Babel').

  If you want to do eToys stuff in the standard 3.6 image, you may
want to try the m17n package.

  Get 3.6 release and install an SAR file from
http://squeaklet.com:8080/m17n/uploads/3/m17n36-2.sar.

  Then, you can add #addItalianVocabulary method to EToyVocaburary
class and edit the Vocabulary class>>initializeLanguageTable.  Then
you will be able to switch to Italian setting.  This m17n work doesn't
have clear model so some of the places you wouldn't want to translate
get translated.  For Etoys, this is fine.  But not quite generic.

  Hope this helps,

-- Yoshiki