duplicateControlAndAltKeys by default?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 10 19:04:15 UTC 2003

Martin Wirblat <sql.mawi at t-link.de> wrote:
> I meant: when swapping is turned on, all keys sould be swapped, aka
> the modifier keys should be swapped, as it is possible for some OS-UIs.
>  If the main modifier key of Squeak does not match the one of the OS
> we are a bit more incompatible without gaining anything.
>
> Another plus: this behavior would be easier to describe in the help,
> than a second 'special table' for swappings, which looks a bit funny.

Ah.  I thought you meant there will be an in-squeak preference to swap
the text editing keys.  It sounds like are suggesting that Squeak just
not talk about "alt" versus "control", but isntead about "main modifier"
and "secondary modifier", or perhaps "command" and, uh, "secondary
modifier".  :)

This sounds okay to me, but it also sounds like a fair bit of work.

In the meantime, before someone jumps up to do this work, turning on the
duplicateControlAndAltKeys  preference seems like a very easy way to
make Squeak better for new users.  Even with the help text messed up, it
seems better to have it on than off.

-Lex