About KCP and automatic initialize

Göran Krampe goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Sep 16 21:13:03 UTC 2003

Hi!

Citerat från Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il>:
> goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> > Please let us have an open atmosphere about evolving Squeak.
> Sure. I'm just engaging in critical discussion of a specific proposal
> :-)

Ah, good. :) I knew that too, just wanted to take the chance to get that said.

> "final
> > > Hmm, what is SqueakMap for again, then?
> > Eh, well - sure. But I am not certain that *language* level
> > enhancements/changes are best served as packages on SM. As always, I
> am
> > open for arguments, but it sure sounds like it could lead to forks in
> no
> > time. :)
> Well it appears to me that changing *the language* in the alpha stream
> *and then changing it back* is much more hassle than we want. So we
> should include in the stream only stuff that we're quite sure is
> permanent. And I don't know of any way to gain that confidence that's
> better than SqueakMap. I don't see how forks/compatibility issues are
> any different between language changes and extreme framework changes...
>
> Daniel

Well, in theory I of course agree with you. I am just trying to imagine how such
changes really get tested/tried if they are simply an addon that you can find on
SM. For example, we currently have a whole bunch of these addons on SM that I
really think we should take a look at more seriously to perhaps "fold in". Like
debugger enhancements etc.

Anyway, I agree that we could keep these "enhancements to core Squeak that we
haven't really decided on yet" as loadable packages from SM and then simply
include one or two of these in the (soon to be) official load script. That would
mean that the code is still kept as a "changeset" (not integrated) but it is
also available in an official release so that it gets used.

Anyway, just thinking loud about the general problems. :)

regards, Göran

Göran Krampe, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
Smalltalk - a place where objects live, not a language.