About KCP and automatic initialize

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Sep 17 06:12:15 UTC 2003

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
	First, you can still write mostly-ANSI code to be portable by writing
	your new methods as follows:

		new
			^self basicNew initialize

	This way, you don't care what the default #new method does, because you
	are using basicNew instead.  The more I think about it, the more this
	seems like a good pattern, anyway, once you start thinking about deep
	class hierarchies.

Indeed.

	Second, it would be nice to have a preference around for strict ANSI
	conformance.  I hate preferences, but this really is a system-wide flag
	that impacts a variety of things, and that will have many people
	desiring each setting.

This might be better handled through SmallLint.  Now that I finally have
it, I like it every bit as much as I expected I would, and it really does
seem like the right tool for the job.