3.6g for linux becomes "sluggish" -- HELP

cdshaffer at acm.org cdshaffer at acm.org
Thu Sep 25 18:33:08 UTC 2003

David T. Lewis writes:
 > Hmmm, it must be something else then. The symptoms you described reminded
 > me of problems I've seen in the past when I screwed something up in
 > the OSProcess signal handler, so I thought that might be it. At any
 > rate, I just re-checked OSProcess/CommandShell loaded from SqueakMap
 > into a fresh image, and I don't see anything wrong.

Well, OSProcess and/or CommandShell is definitely having problems.
Just entering a bunch of ls's and df's in a row eventually leads to it
acting strangely (not reacting to the termination of a command until
after a long pause).

 > p.s. You can use "OSProcess accessor grimReaperProcess terminate" to
 > stop the child process handler without going to the ProcessBrowser.

Thanks!  Still the image becomes sluggish.

 > p.p.s. Use "Smalltalk listLoadedModules" to make sure you really
 > got rid of UnixOSProcessAccessor.so when you renamed it. If there
 > is another copy of it that you've forgotten about somewhere in your
 > plugin search path, you can end up loading the other copy by accident.

I did this and it confirmed that I did remove it properly.  I tried
starting up with a very minimal set of modules (I couldn't get the
image to load without a sound or display module).  Still is slowy
grinds down to a halt.

David