"lightweight"

smallsqueak.net smallsqueak at rogers.com
Thu Apr 1 19:08:56 UTC 2004

> >   I still don't know if Squeak qualifies as a "Lightweight Language,"
> > whatever the definition is, but more visibility is better.
>
> Don't you know?  Lightweight means "good" nowadays.  People sprinkle it
> around everywhere.  Frequently it means "doesn't have much code to it"
> (and thus, that it probably consumes heavy CPU and memory), but really,
> it can be applied to anything.

    Especially for living objects.

    Ask your family doctor.
    Ask your family rocket scientist.

    True doctors and scientists hate FatLivingObjects.
     (a nightmare to maintain)

    Whitch doctors and scientists  may object.

> Be glad.  It used to be that "object-oriented" meant good.  For example,
> "this is an object-oriented operating system", or "this is an
> object-oriented desktop interface", or "this is an object-oriented
> toaster".

    Merely object oriented doesn't buy much nowadays.
    Even a kitchen sink claims to be object oriented.

> Unfortunately, an occasional holdout from the old days will occasionally
> pop up and say "this is a lightweight object-oriented mail reader".
>
> :)
>
> Every field seems to have these things.  And it could be worse --
> education folks have to contend with "child-centered" educational
> techniques.  Blah!

    Anyone interested in these things owes it to oneself to have a look at:

http://OpenLivingObjectOrientedLightWeightDbranesForChildrenOfAllAges.OpenStrings.com/D-BranesOS.jar

    It's truly lightweight, merely 100MicroBites (Planck size) in a tiny
jar.

    Cheers,

    SmallSqueak.