[Monticello] Error: Could not find version ...

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Apr 6 20:52:12 UTC 2004

On Apr 4, 2004, at 11:04 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> #saveVersion is attempting to do precisely what I had hoped, store a
> new
> version file in the repository if it needs it.  However,
> #allDependenciesDo:
> seems to require that it already exist in *some* repository somewhere
> #resolve it.
>
> Is this working as designed then?  I just need to be sure, if I move
> my image
> to another computer, I need to be sure to get the package-cache as
> well.

No, that's not as designed, I just hadn't thought of that case.  It
should handle that silently (not save any version for that dependency
into the repos) rather than error.  In other words, it should use
something like #allAvailableDependenciesDo:, which I'll need to
implement.  Thanks for calling this to my attention.

>   Or
> maybe I should add an in-image cache?  (I thought I read somewhere
> that was
> supported, but now I don't see it on +Repository).

There is - MCDictionaryRepository.  But it's generally only used by the
test cases.  If you want it to show up in the +Repository list, add a
method something like this:

MCDictionaryRepository class>>description
	^ 'cache'

> Meanwhile, I'm also trying to figure out the best way to get out of
> this mess.
> I tried resetting all of my ancestry and saving anew, but that didn't
> work.
> Thank goodness all of my projects histories are not already entrenched
> in
> Monticello just yet, so I can start over.  Figuring out what to do if I
> couldn't start over could be a nightmare.

I'm not sure exactly what the "mess" is.  Remember that you can use
Adopt to explicitly change the ancestry of a version if need be.  If
you've corrupted things really badly (but how?) I can guide you through
fixing it programatically.  I certainly don't think you should ever
have to "start over"...