"A Word of Caution" to all newcomers

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Dec 2 18:07:12 UTC 2004

Am 02.12.2004 um 18:34 schrieb Joshua Scholar:

> I think the best thing to change to not alienate windows / mac etc
> users is
> to remap some keys to standard bindings.
>
> A new user of squeak can't CUT and PASTE for God's sake!  It took me
> three
> days to find out that alt-c was doing what ctrl-c does on every other
> computer I've used in the past twenty years.  I'm sure that plenty of
> people
> less determined than me, realized that they couldn't do basic things
> and
> gave up.

On the mac, cut-n-paste just works like it works on the mac in all
other apps.
We should fix it that this is true for windows, too.

Lex Spoon proposed a fix over a year ago. It got not a single
supporter, and
was therefore rejected:

Subject:		[ENH] dupAllKeys
Author:		Lex Spoon
Date Posted: 25 October 2003
Archive ID: 13727
Comments:
from preamble:

"Change Set:		dupAllKeys
Date:			25 October 2003
Author:			Lex Spoon

This changeset causes all ctrl- and command- keys to behave the same in
text areas.  It might be called the 'duplicate all keys' proposal for
dealing with platform differences in cut and paste.

     Marcus