Off topic: Education

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Fri Dec 17 01:55:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:40:27 -0800, Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
wrote:

> [1] Of course in any truly civilised nation education doesn't come with
> a price tag to the educatee. Since everyone benefits from an educated
> populace in ways including educated and successful people paying more
> taxes, it is obvious that as many people as possible should be given a
> shot at extensive education. I've noticed that a large fraction of
> people that disapprove of this idea seem to be the people who wouldn't
> likely have made much use of a full education.

I disapprove of the idea. The ability and freedom to exchange is a concept
fundamental to human dignity. Children who are not allowed to exchange
grow into disgruntled teenagers. Adults who are not allowed to exchange
become disgruntled citizens. And typically they focus their anger on the
source of their largesse. Indeed, not =demanding= exchange from people is
one of the worst things you can ever do to them.

Since I was educated in the American system, I can't claim to have a
"full" education or even to know what it is. Twenty-one years in said
system--along with a far above average propensity for reading and
acquiring knowledge outside of school--should've yielded better results
but unfortunately I'm required to scramble to keep up with my own
children's desire for knowledge. So it's hard for me to imagine I wouldn't
have made use of it--be making use of it as we speak--had I received it.

And, of course, plenty of people with extensive education can't make use
of it either. Indeed, there used to be a strong and healthy prejudice
against Comp Sci PhDs in the marketplace.