Using Squeak for general desktop development

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Feb 9 23:58:18 UTC 2004

On Feb 9, 2004, at 10:34 AM, Mike Flippin wrote:

> Hi, I'm a Computer Science major having to prepare a presentation on
> Smalltalk for a programming language class and need a Smalltalk VM for
> that. I haven't been able to find any documentation on Squeak that
> shows how to use it to make desktop software that uses native GUI
> toolkits like QT, GTK+, Carbon and MFC.
>
> Is this possible? I found a listing for GTK+ bindings on the GTK
> website. GNU Smalltalk 2.1 doesn't compile on either Fedora Linux or
> MacOS X so I'm SOL there. So that left me with Squeak. Is there any
> place I can find how to use native toolkits?

It's not currently possible, and isn't very high on the priority list
for most of us.  There are a few projects just starting up to try to
provide GTK+ and Cocoa support, but nothing you could use.

The best native-widget Smalltalk I know of is Dolphin, which is
Windows-only and quite reasonably priced.