Squeak as a windows manager ?

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Fri Feb 13 14:41:35 UTC 2004

Samir Saidani wrote:

>Hello,
>

>[snip]
>Other features are necessary to have a true windows manager, like a
>better way to display backgrounds (tile, center, stretch, in the last
>3.7alpha image I tried, only tiling is supported ?), a virtual desktop
>manager, a taskbar... We started such a project called EnlightSqueak,
>with some students of my university, if any of you are interested,
>feel free to join us !

Samir,

We also have a similar project running here at Westminster College.  I
have a student working on an X-server.  As you can imagine, this is no
small project but we are making slow progress and we hope to have
something to show this year.  We didn't build off of the project
currently on SqueakMap b/c we had already started when that project was
posted. I'd like to hear what you're working on more specifically, and
I'd be happy to share our work.

BTW: I posted a very simple Taskbar to SqueakMap last year and have been
using it extensively ever since.  It works well but may not be what you
had in mind (feedback would be appreciated).  I am building a feature
list for the next release.

Your PasteUpMorph enhancements look great!  I would like to integrate
them into the current Keymapping package.  I noticed that you added
PasteUpMorphMethodAction which seems to evaluate a code block.  The name
is confusing (TextMorphAction invokes a method on the current text morph
so PasteUpMorphMethodAction seems like it should invoke a method on a
PasteUpMorph) and I think the functionality of this class is replaced by
my BlockAction which evaluates a block (this will be in the next
release...as soon as I solve my PluggableListMorph layout woes).  So, I
propose to only integrate your changes to PasteUpMorph, KeymapManager
and KeymapEditor.  Does this seems reasonable?

All of this Keymapping work begs the question "How should keyboard
shortcuts be handled, generally?".  I think that menu and button
accelerators need to be part of any general keymapping scheme (the user
should be able to change the menu accelerators, for example).  This
would require some kind of "action registry" so a menu could determine
the accelerator for a given action.  Then you build some core actions
(browse, doit etc) and then allow any other actions to be registered by
applications and subsquently customized by the user.  We could even hack
the current menu system to automatically look up actions based on menu
item name or selector that way we don't have to rework all of the
existing tools :-)

David

--
C. David Shaffer