[BUG][SM] Squeak map broken at server?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sun Jul 11 18:00:26 UTC 2004

"David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 05:46:57PM +0200, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> > Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Since this is a serious problem, an ST changeset probably using David's
> > > MemoryAddressesPlugin checking for the memory problem at startup and
> > > both warning and hinting the user how to circumvent it, would be good,
> > > if it takes longer to bugfix the VMs.
> > >
> > > Does the MemoryAddressesPlugin catch this error in every case?
> > > Does the workaround by manually limiting the memory work in each case?
> >
> > Well, no. :) I guess that one could be unlucky and end up very close to
> > the limit and then it would still be allocated overlapping the limit.
>
> Hi Goran,
>
> Are you saying the the MemoryAddressesPlugin does not work, or that just
> that there are cases where it will not work because the memory in question
> has not yet been allocated? Just curious, because I wrote the plugin but

No, I was merely answering the second question. That the -memory switch
may not help in every case. But I don't really know of course, need to
pester Ian or Dan or someone.

> I don't really know if it works as intended (I am using a 2.4 Linux system
> that does not have the memory range issues we are discussing).

I couldn't get it to work, but right now I don't remember why. Hmmm,
perhaps I just used the "wrong" src. What do you use? CVS? Ian tarball?

> Thanks!
>
> Dave

regards, Göran