The Future of SM & some SM Tests

Thomas A Petersen tpeterse at csc.com
Thu Jul 15 19:14:34 UTC 2004

Goran et. al,

SqueakMap is too valuable to just abandon.

Squeakmap gives the community that which was good about the grand modules
experiment and makes it approachable by mere mortals.  If I can build a
useful chubby image with it, anyone can.

I will indulge in a little bad mail etequite and mix threads.  You asked
for some testing feedback on the 3.7 new SM thing.

This is a list of what I did to make a chubby image to test it and have a
well endowned place to do linked living class diagrams for my day job.  The
games are for evening recreation and VMMaker makes a great loader health
test.  Besides, I want to get back to my plugin experiments.

Here is some feedback on the current Squeak 3.7.

Udate to 3.7b-5972 from 5969 at: 15:15 Eastern Daylight Savings time
Open package loader
Loaded:
BTree 28
Baloon 3d  Said do it anyway Seems OK
Breakout (2)  Said do it anyway Seems OK
Connectors 1.9  Said do it anyway
    Got a subscript out of range error.
    Everything appears to be there, and it works!
Jacaranda   Said do it anyway It works!
LifeMorph   Said do it anyway
Morse Code   Said do it anyway
ODBC for Squeak  said do it anyway
OdbcEnh
OpenOffice Importer
SARBuilder
VMMaker 3.7b5

Things to like:

It tells you that there are no "official" releases and gives you the chance
to back out

It tells you that there are no releases specifically marked for 3.7.  Very
good...

It leaves the installed package showing and puts a * by the version you
have loaded. Excellent!

It gives you the option to open a debugger when an install crashes.  Much
better!

Now add personalizations (color/font/big color picker etc) ( Am I the only
one who thinks the color picker is too small?)
Some of my tricks can be found at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/362

File in my photo album experiment.  It works!
File in my jacaranda to the outside world (Windows only) extensions.
Bring my current interlinked class diagrams and maps into the image.

Yes!! it works!  The environment feels better too.
Congrats to the community for an ever improving product.

Because of the continued improvments in SqueakMap:
( SqueakGuide named: 'Goran' ) giveMessage: 'You Rock!'.

Thanks again for a great place to think,
tap