GLORP

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Tue Jun 8 01:09:27 UTC 2004

> Radislov and I have been discussing just this topic.  Radislov did a
> 0.3.22 port some time ago (email him at rh at 4096.sk for the port).  I
> started on a 0.3.63 port a few days ago, and it turned into more work
> than I wanted to tackle at the moment.
> This is what I told Radislov a day or so ago:
>
> ...the later versions of Glorp are getting more and more tightly tied
> to underlying VisualWorks facilities -- a bunch of little snafu's
> like: use of the VW-specific ExternalDatabaseAnswerStream, use of
> VW-specific OrderedCollection protocol, use of cursors in a VW
> EXDI-specific manner, etc.
>
> A lot of the underlying dependent code just files right out of VW and
> right into Squeak.  But, the license on such "copied" code is where
> the rub is.  We legally can't be copying code out of VW and inserting
> it into Squeak that way.
>
> So, to be quite honest, I'm on the verge of ditching Glorp for our
> bountifulbaby.com site.  But I could be easily swayed either way at
> this point in time.
>
> Nevin

I might add also that the license to Glorp has been clarified, or
changed from LGPL, to LGPL(S), as described below:

*****
This is a Smalltalk library, licensed under the LGPL, and distributed
WITHOUT
ANY WARRANTY (see below).  However, it is not obvious how some of
the terms and concepts in the license should be sensibly applied to
Smalltalk
The various Smalltalk image models often do not directly correspond to
the ideas of programs and libraries that are linked to form executables.
We, the authors, would like to clarify our interpretation of the LGPL as it
applies to Smalltalk, and what we permit you to do with this code. We
will sometimes use the term LGPL(S) to distinguish the use of the LGPL
with these clarifications.

This code is intended to be usable as a library, without the intention to
restrict the license of the program that uses it. Thus, you may use this
library
the same way you would normally use any other Smalltalk library. That is,
you may load it into an image or otherwise make it available for use in
whatever
ways are appropriate to the Smalltalk implementation you are using
(including,
but not limited to file-in, linking a shared library, or loading a binary
representation such as a parcel,  BOSS file, image segment or image
component).
You may write code that uses the library, including subclassing library
classes
and having the library call back to your code using blocks, the #perform:
mechanism, or similar mechanisms. You may use this code,  including creating
and distributing packaged images, libraries, development images and
executables
that include the library code. We do not consider these activities
sufficient
to make the entire program/image/executable or any portion of it beyond the
library itself be considered a derivative work, and in any case we place no
restrictions on what licenses you may use for code that uses this library in
these or similar manners.

If, however, you modify the class definitions or methods of the library,
we do
consider those modified sections a derivative work, and as such they are
fully subject
to the restrictions described in the LGPL. Basically, you'll need to
release the
source of any modifications.

If you require any further clarification, we'd be happy to provide it.
You can contact
the authors c/o Alan Knight, knight at acm.org.

    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
    modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
    License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
    version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

    This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
    Lesser General Public License for more details.

    You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
    License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA
02111-1307  USA
*****

--
Nevin Pratt

Bountiful Baby
http://www.bountifulbaby.com
The Most Complete Reborn Supply Store On The Web!

(801) 992-3137