Some comments (was Back to the issue... (was RE: Squeak coding style...))

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Wed Mar 3 16:01:49 UTC 2004

Hi Wolfgang,

> But I believe that assuming that two methods with the same
> selector implement the same message (semantics) does not hold,
> and is hard to enforce.

Yes, of course.
The "message comment" is the way to detect that they are not
 the same message (messages with the same selector,
 but different intention/comment/semantics).

> Furthermore, a method comment could not only contain
> the message comment, but also information about the
> particular implementation of that message.

I think that implementation must not be explaided with text.
It must be explained with a "showIt" action. (seen in action)
If you explain the intention of code in text, your attention
 will gravitate to code (language) and not to objects.
I feel that the use of the debugger as an explanation tool
 is more effective and help to enhance interaction and
 building object systems.

best,
Ale.