[ANN] OmniBrowser

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Mar 9 17:48:38 UTC 2004

On Mar 9, 2004, at 9:33 AM, Romain Robbes wrote:

> I would have asked you anyways ...
> I'd like to try out stuff with it, it might be a good brower
> for BrowseUnit.

If I can be of any help, please let me know.

> Yes it is ... it might still be useful to browse a few packages at the
> time, though.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you thinking of a "merged" view where
several packages are combined into a single namespace (for lack of a
better term) and the browser operate on that? Or a version of the
Package Browser that only shows some of the packages in the system?

> Another "feature request" would be that your PackageBrowser does
> not allow yet to directly browse class extensions, as the Monticello
> Browser does
> (but you can't modify stuff in the latter). But it seems that the
> "chase implementors"
> facility finds the extensions .

Yes, mutability is the tricky part. What would it mean to create a
class in the '*Extensions' virtual category? I don't think PackageInfo
can handle that case at the moment. I'll see what I can do for the next
release, but I think probably the proper way to address this is with a
proper Package class. Now that we have robust SystemChangeNotifications
and a UI for manipulating packages, it's more feasible than it was.

>>> And it seems to be extensively tested :-).
>>
>> My to do list has some tests that are still missing, but I think the
>> coverage is generally pretty good.
>
> Definitely yes. While browsing your code and your test code, I
> actually learned quite
> a lot. I think that your mock classes could be released separately as
> they seem
> quite nice to use on their own.

Yes. I think I'll have to split OB up in to several packages in the
near future, so as not to have too many dependencies. I'd like to add
support for the RB, of course, and perhaps for StarBrowser
classifications as Stéphane suggested, but the main browsers shouldn't
depend on those packages.

The mocks and perhaps some of the abstract classes for testing the
browsers could also be factored out into separate packages.

-cwp