SLOC in Squeak History

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Tue May 11 07:21:37 UTC 2004

Hi,
For what it may be worth: Some years ago, we tried finding metrics for
volume and complexity of ST code. We tried many exotic measures, but ended
up with counting number of code lines, ignoring pure comment lines. This
worked when we assumed that a programmer will break complex code into
several lines, and compress simple code into a single line. It would
certainly not work if the programmers were in any way rewarded or punished
for lines of code, and it does not measure productivity. (On my most
productive days, the number of lines of code goes down).

LOC can be useful as a rough measure of code "volume", but it immediately
breaks down if you try to define its meaning more carefully.

Regards
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway