question: interpretation of TimeProfile

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 1 14:28:07 UTC 2005

> Does the red line in the gif mean that 10% of the time is spent in the
> housekeeping of OrderedCollection>>do: or does this include the time
> spent in evaluating aBlock value:?

It includes execution of the entire method, including time spent evaluating
aBlock value:.

> I guess the first is true as the end of the list states in the
> **Leaves** section that an overall 13.9% are spent in do:.

I've never been quite sure what the **Leaves** section means.

> Put more general: I didn't find a detailed description on the swiki on
> how to interpret the results of the time profile.
>
> Can someone please provide a pointer?

My understanding is that, during profiling, a snapshot is taken of the stack
every few milliseconds.  Whatever time has passed since the last snapshot is
added to each frame in the current snapshot.  That's why you see 100% in the
root-frame because it was present in every snapshot.

 - Chris