[update] new website

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at fast-mail.org
Tue Aug 2 16:08:11 UTC 2005

Well, progress on the new website (http://www2.squeak.org:7777) is slow
at best.  Summer seems to be a hard time to get much work done.  Many on
the team have been busy with work schedules as well as vacation (I start
mine in about 14 hours).

Some updates have occurred though:

    - new screenshots have been added, and some are on the block waiting
to be added
    - a features list has been added & updated
    - download links have been updated
    - Goran is working on text for the main page
    - there have been some efforts to copy information from the old site
to the new
    - all text changes are now being saved to an external file
    - a VNC connection was added to the server to enable remote
debugging and development

In addition, Karl Ramberg did some investigation into the versions of
SmallWiki and Squeak that we are using.  At this point our Squeak image
is considered unstable (intermittent lock-ups, snapshot failures,
etc.).  Also, the version of SmallWiki we are using does not support
adding image resources to the website.  We are currently looking into
options to rectify these errors (eg. a patched SmallWiki from the
Seaside folks, running the site in VisualWorks instead of Squeak,
abandoning SmallWiki etc.).

Hopefully we will have more (and better) news next month.

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved
me, and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20