LookEnhancements enhancement

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Tue Aug 2 20:38:33 UTC 2005

Hello Ramon,

RL> Actually, it is.  It's not unreasonable to say that almost "all"
RL> computers run windows.  Windows has over 90% of the market, so most
RL> people will feel that windows style is more intuitive because it's what
RL> they're used too, that doesn't mean it's better, but it is more
RL> intuitive.

due to market forces an everyday Windows user since 3.11 I'm still not
used to many things. One thing is single click in the Web, double
click in Win, which I changed. There are many other things which don't
get intuitive even after two decades. Eating up Monitor real estate in
XP being a younger nuisance that doesn't need to be copied.

RL> Windows is not "their" platform, it's almost "everyones" platform, like
RL> it not, that is reality.

No doubt and I'm sure Tim doesn't argue against this but it does not
mean people like it and don't want any changes in usability or the
look. This is not an OS discussion.

RL> The real question is what's the goal of LookEnhancements, if it's to
RL> make squeak prettier to make it more popular, then it needs to try and
RL> look more like windows, plain and simple, because that's the target
RL> market, that's where "most" programmers are.  If the goal is to look

Win can easily be tweaked quite a bit and especially programmers do
that a lot so it would be hard to even define the target market.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net