internal or external, that is the question

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Aug 27 13:41:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 03:36:35PM -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> I'm trying to learn VMMaker and create a total Unix VM from scratch. I
> see that I need to first assign plugins to be either Internal or
> External in the VMMakerTool. And, if a plugin is not assigned, make
> errors may result. (errors depends on if the  class exists or not? Is
> that right?)

Hi Brad,

If you are trying to build a VM for the first time, I suggest
that you use the source code package from Ian's web site rather
than the SVN sources, and that you use the VMMaker from SqueakMap.
This will give you a good VM without all the "gotchas" involved
in the bleeding edge sources. Once you have that working, and
if that has not yet satisfied your appetite for aggrivation,
then you can try building from the latest SVN sources and VMMaker.

As far as your internal vs. external question, in most cases it
does not matter. But just to give you a guideline, I am currently
building everything internally except for the following plugins:

    UnixOSProcessPlugin
    XDisplayControlPlugin
    AllocationLoggingPlugin
    AioPlugin

These four are "extras" that are not necessary for a working VM.
I also do development work on some of them, so it makes sense to
build them externally to avoid rebuilding the whole VM when I
change something.

Dave