[Tweak] Tweak position?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Feb 9 07:38:05 UTC 2005

Hi Goran -

> A good article :) on it written many, many eons ago:
>
> http://anakin.bluefish.se:8000/sqworld

Talk about a blast from the past! This is still a pretty good article btw.
And a few of those questions are just hillarious. Say "(if Stable Squeak
shold become more "open":) What do you propose as the first steps in opening
up Stable Squeak more?" Hey, wasn't I just hearing this from you? Maybe
there's a pattern here ;-) (though I would hope that Tweak doesn't end up
with the same fate) Or this one "Getting this beast out the door." - seems
to be the motto of the day :-) And this is a good one, too "What Joseph
showed me felt like "the future" for Squeak", well no sir, you got that one
wrong :-) (seriously, this is a very funny read in 20/20 hindsight)

Well anyway, thanks for sending the link - now if I could just dig up the
actual source code to have something to start from...

> The tricky part with all this might be to find someone with the "itch".
> I mean, most frameworks have someone holding the torch, like you for
> Tweak or Ned (kinda) for Morphic. But who would hold the torch for the
> abstract layer on top?

Anyone who a) wants his or her framework to be Very Easily Usable (tm) with
anyone's tools (assuming the tool maker cares about it) and b) isn't
alltogether happy with having to re-hack about five dozen apps in the
(known) Morphic universe (browse the extensions of UIManager to get a feel
about the ugly places that you have to poke around in).

In other words, anyone who has had the need to even provide rudimentary
replacement support for PopUpMenu and friends - I would suspect that
includes at least wxSqueak (and perhaps Seaside, depending how serious Avi
takes remote debugging). That's why I said to get these people into the same
room and see what they need - if there's a need, there will be action. I
know that (personally speaking) I would go with *any* approach which gives
me the tools back and I'm almost sure the wxSqueak guys would love it if a
new tool could just come up with a native UI.

> As most often is the case not much will be done if noone has that itch.

Heh. Exactly. Read my message as a search for collaborators. Together we may
even have a chance to master the process of getting approved into the image.

> Btw, if we are going for an XML description (or hey, why limit us to ONE
> way of expressing UIs) we could simply try to use the same that say
> Glade uses. Or the one wx uses. Or at least look at them so that we can
> interoperate.

I don't care. I really don't. All I need is TSTTCPW. If that's XML (because
we can reuse stuff from SWT) so be it. If that's sort of an AppRegistry with
a well-defined interface so be it. If that's Glade, Array specs or anything
else that someone else is happy to do ('cause I'm only do one of the former
two if I'm going to be the lead) so be it. I just need TSTTCPW.

That's another major point when you really have an itch to scratch - you
stick with the needs. For example, could I have provided more elaborate
protocols with UIManager? Sure I could - but I don't *need* it. What is in
there is what I really *need*. No more, no less. TSTTCPW. And I would like
it to be that way with cross-framework UI support as well. KISS. TSTTCPW. Or
whatever else you call it ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas