Newbie: OS X Install - Failure or Fails to Run

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Feb 10 23:05:41 UTC 2005

From:
http://www.stuffit.com/mac/deluxe/updates.html

- StuffIt Deluxe 8.0 caused a problem whereby applications would not
run if they were expanded from archive formats that do not preserve
UNIX file permissions. In earlier versions of StuffIt Expander, this
problem did not occur because the UNIX "execute" permission was set on
all files as they were expanded. StuffIt Deluxe 8.0.2 restores that
feature. However, if you are certain that you do not want the "execute"
permissions set, you can tell StuffIt Expander not to alter UNIX file
permissions when expanding non-UNIX compatible file formats. This can
be done in StuffIt Expander preferences by un-checking the box that
says "Set execute permissions by default".

  The StuffIt X (.sitx) format does support UNIX file permissions,
results in the best compression, protects files from damage, and is
therefore the recommended compression format for archiving.

-----
So stuffit 8.0 is causing you the issue, upgrade to 8.02

----
Lately the finder now allows archiving, unarchiving of applications,
they really using gnu zip to zip all the files/resource forks/meta
data. However I'm not sure when I'll
migrate to that format since os-9 users require sit files.  (Assuming
there are any os 7.x/8.x/9.x users around).

On Feb 10, 2005, at 2:13 PM, Jack Bunce wrote:

> Running OS X 10.3.7 on my 12" Powerbook 867 Mhz PowerPC G4 with 640MB.
>  I have downloaded Squeak 3.7 Full - Mac and Unstuffed using Stuffit
> 8.0 into its own folder which is presently on the desktop.  Within the
> folder I have 5 files and a folder named Plugins.  The files are:
> ReadMe.txt, Squeak 3.7.5 Beta 1, Squeak 3.7-5989-full changes, Squeak
> 3.7-5989-full.image, and Squeak V3.sources.
>
> When I attempt to start Squeak by dragging the image file onto the
> Beta1 file or by double clicking on the image file or by double
> clicking on the Beta 1 file I get the appropriate icon to flash and
> then nothing else follows.
>
> There are no entries in either the System or Console logs.  It just
> does not work.  I thought it might be a permissions issue but I appear
> to have read write to the files and the application.  I also tried
> starting it with "top" running and there is no change in that screen
> either.
>
> I have been able to download a Windows version and it works on my XP
> Pro system.
>
> I am looking for some information on how to proceed or at least
> troubleshoot it further.  Any assistance would be much appreciated.
>

> cheers...  jack

===