[ANN] code for Package preinst/postinst/etc handling

Michal michal-list at auf.net
Thu Feb 17 23:49:00 UTC 2005

>> iii. add a method that creates a SAR from this new PackageInfo,

> Or, better yet, add new definition types to Monticello for these so
> that all you need is the .mcz file.

Attached is a quick PackageSorter hack (copied and adapated from
ChangeSorter) that makes it easy to edit preambles and postscripts
both for install and uninstall (via the menu in the package-list pane)

The actual code of the install/uninstall is kept in StringHolders in
instvars of PackageInfo, just like ChangeSet does it.

Following Avi's remark above, I have not implemented the SAR creation,
and I'm supposing that Avi can now easily "add new definition types to
Monticello for these" - which I have no idea how to do.

Once/if Avi does that, we have a working solution with tool support to
start loading/ unloading packages immediately.

Michal

ps. again, this is *not* meant as competition to any first class
package implementation. It is only meant as an enabler to get on with
TFNR asap - without needing to go through any major change in our
infrastructure. The ball is in the TNFR camp ;)

pps. if this gets actually used, I'm of course willing to spend some
time cleaning it up, etc. As I said, this is a quick hack as it
stands.