Squeak-3.7b audio recording issue on FC3

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Sat Feb 19 19:03:42 UTC 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 8:07 pm, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Both Alsa and the OSS emulation work fine with other applications (such
> as ardour and mplayer using it's OSS interface). I haven't seen any
> problems with them so far.
>
> In Squeak, audio plays fine. But, when I start up squeak, go to the
> Widgets flap, drag out a "Sound" morph and push record, squeak hangs.
> Its repeatable every time.
>
> Any idea why? I'm thinking back thru my memory and I can't remember if
> this has happened before... but it may have. I searched thru Mantis and
> found nothing but one audio bug that was a playback bug.
>
> Anybody else running Linux with 3,7? If you are, can you try this and
> see if you get the same result?

I have explained this several times before.

Are you sure that you aren't running another program that has the OSS files
open?

i.e. what do you get when you do:

 sudo lsof /dev/*s*nd*

It should be nothing...

If you have esd or artsd running and hanging on to the OSS sound files you'll
have problems. Tell them to release the devices after they've been idle for a
while.

hint: try running squeak under:
artsdsp (if you're running artsd), or
esddsp (if you're running esd)

another hint: if you're running artsd, try
artsshell autosuspend 10
artsshell suspend

--
Ned Konz