Squeak-3.7b audio recording issue on FC3

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sun Feb 20 21:30:03 UTC 2005

Ned Konz wrote:

>On Saturday 19 February 2005 2:16 pm, Brad Fuller wrote:
>

>>>oddly, no UI process in that list. When I hit Alt-. I get what looks like
>>>an interrupted UI task pre-debug window popping up, but the UI is dead.
>>>
>>>Of course, I now find that I can't record with the usual tools outside of
>>>Squeak either. I should stop updating my system...
>>>
>>>In the past, I had recording working in Squeak -- but I'd had to
>>>re-compile ALSA from their CVS to get it to work with my sound hardware.
>>>

>>Can you tell us your distro and kernel version?
>>

>Distro is Debian unstable or testing; kernel a custom 2.6.9.
>
>I just compiled a 2.6.10 along with the alsa modules and was finally able to
>get arecord working.
>
>Having done that, I can run (some versions of) the Squeak VM using aoss and I
>am actually able to record now.
>
>My Squeak script is thus something like:
>
>aoss /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.7b-6/squeak "$@"
>
>except it's more complicated than that because it does error logging, etc.

I tried the aoss wrapper and it worked on my setup too -- although the
recording level was extremely low. But, at least it didn't hang.
Are you using the latest alsa version?

In any case, squeak out of the box should record in linux -- at the very
least, it should never, ever hang. I suppose that there is no one
looking at this particular issue -- no one "responsible" (as it were)?

This certainly goes on the list of things to fix for multimedia.
Ned: you have a bit more experience with the lower-guts in Squeak on
*nix? Do you want to file a bug on mantis?

How should we go about getting this fixed?

brad