Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Fri Feb 25 11:09:43 UTC 2005

Cees,
that what the perfect rip out of context.

I said that I assume that you need to be on something deeply
hierarchical to make use of Traits:

"Furthermore this Collection hierarchy is already there! It is my
assumption, that unless I program a similar hierarchical monster like
Collections I don't gain much from Traits. I even fear that Traits may
lure into programming hierarchical, where a flat structure combined with
the normal composition would be the better way to go."

If Collections can be refactored so that the code is better
understandable it is a plus for Traits (the minus would be the speed
loss). If Morphic could be refactored with the help of Traits it would
be another plus. Well, looking at Tweak and its more flat structure -
the opposite direction! - I doubt that Traits would be a big help in
refactoring Morphic. And as I said, it may even lure into the wrong
direction...

But all of this was my "preliminary" thinking, and it was not meant to
say "don't touch anything because it's there". Your allegation is a bit
absurd. I just felt that it is only fair to explain a bit what I thought
so far.

Most importantly my "preliminary" thinking should show, that on a pure
theoretical basis it is hard to make judgements, that it really would
help to have a traitified image, where you get the full "traits feeling"
and where you could try out something for real.

Regards,
Martin