wxWidgets bindings

wynand at realtimerodeo.net wynand at realtimerodeo.net
Wed Jan 5 21:15:39 UTC 2005

Bryce mentioned that a wxWidgets port would be a nice addition.

I've been meaning for a while to dip into the SWIG (www.swig.org) source
code, so I guess that it might be nice to add a Smalltalk backend to it.

Not that this feature is a must, but SWIG enables the generation of
so-called "director" classes that allow methods in a target language (such
as Python, or in our case Smalltalk) to override C++ virtual methods. This
entails the creation of a C++ class that inherits from the class in
question and invokes the interpreter to call the appropriate method in the
target language (i.e. Python, Smalltalk etc).

Now, since the VM is not re-entrant (from what I gather) this probably
cannot be implemented (depending of course of which functions are not
re-entrant). How difficult would it be make the VM code re-entrant?

It truly is distressing to know that humans live for such a short time -
there are too many bloody interesting projects! :)

--Wynand