Why I asked (was: How might I set the cursorpoint? )

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 27 00:38:04 UTC 2005

Peace Jerome <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>

> >Prim 91 is actually test  display depth... we don't
> do setting of the cursor position.
>
> That's interesting.

It's very old and ought to be removed so as to avoid confusing people.

> >It'sa pretty bad bit of UI generally to take the
> users
> >'attention' and drag it somewhere else by force.
> >

> I pretty much agree with you. To see what I was trying
> to do. Get a rectangle ask for the bitmap fill style
> and then ask (via red menu) to reset the origin (or
> orientation). The cursor is where the menu item was
> selected which is usually nowhere near the original
> origin. So the UI is that the picture changes
> dramatically to jump the origin to where the cursor
> now is. It is not to bad for just the origin but the
> orientation stuff is rather jarring. So I thought that
> something that leaves them where they are until you
> move the cursor would be more pleasant. I’ve been
> experimenting with different things that might do that
> and following up my curiosity.\
Interesting problem.  Seems to me that you should get a chance to
choose the new origin you want rather than it simply jumping to the
cursor.

> I’ve found many a piece of code in squeak that
> indicated someone intended for a particular function
> to work.

Ah, you've spotted the real weakspot of Squeak - too much left over
crud from unfinished and abandoned experiments and no documentation of
intent. Infuriating isn't it?

> And while I’m on the subject of curiosity who are the
> we of
>
> > ... we don't do setting of the cursor position.
>
> Who makes the communities standards? What are they?
Muah-ha-ha! _I_ do! It's me! Bow before me oh feeble earthlings!

Oh, and that Goran character. He pulls the strings via a complex web of
blackmail and coercion, drugs and surveilance. All under the control of
the Evil Overlord of course.

tim
The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread.