memory and VM issues

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Jul 20 22:06:13 UTC 2005

Ok, I had thought that Tim had pushed out the changes for VMMaker
that are needed by the source tree updates in april/may timeframe.
This is not the case.

The 1105 revision point is when Ian started to work on the 32/64 bit
logic which needs the VMMaker changes Tim hasn't pushed out yet.
So if you get the 1105 tree, although I think it might be the 1100
revision you  need since that pre-dates Ian's changes.

Smalltalk vmVersion 'Squeak3.8gamma of ''24 November 2004'',
on my working image this right now returns  'Squeak3.8gamma of ''24
November 2004'' [latest update: #6548] Squeak VM 3.8.8b2'

where 'Squeak3.8gamma of ''24 November 2004'' [latest update: #6548]
is the image identification and update data put into the VM source code
by VMMaker. This information just indicates which image VMMaker was
put  into. The Squeak VM 3.8.8b2 is the mac carbon VM version number.
For the most part, all of the slang code for building the VM comes
from the VMMaker package, very little (if any?) from the base image,
so if you
load into a 3.8 or 3.9 image is immaterial. Historically the slang
code was in the base image, so having the image information was
useful. Perhaps
we need to stuff the VMMaker info into the vmversion string too..

On 20-Jul-05, at 2:40 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:

> I originally got interested in building a VM in an attempt to follow
> John McIntosh's suggestion (July 4 on high CPU useage) to try a newer
> VM and diagnostic tools.  The instructions for that say to use a VM
> created in June/July 2005 or later using the latest VMMaker.
>
> Unfortunately, revision 1105 is from 19 Mar 2005 according to the log.
> Probably not coincidentally, that is the date Ian released the version
> of the VM I am using (3.7-7 in the changelog, though it identifies
> itself as Smalltalk vmVersion 'Squeak3.8gamma of ''24 November 2004'',
> consistent with the versioning Lex gave it in the Debian changelog).

===