Async. io, TCL (was Re: Documentation for unix VM source / writing plugins?)

Daniel B. Faken faken at cascv.brown.edu
Mon Jun 13 17:48:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:08:03AM -0400, Daniel B. Faken wrote:
> >
> >   I'm wanting to write a proper 'plugin' instead of using the FFI for
my
> > D-Bus stuff.  Looking at the sources for Sockets etc., it would seem I
> > need to use aio.h in platforms/unix/vm/, and then squeak will watch my
> > file-descriptors for me.  Is this correct?

> Have a look at AioPlugin on SqueakMap, and plagiarize freely. This
> partially duplicates some primitives in OSProcessPlugin (also on
> SqueakMap),
> but I split the aio stuff out into a separate package in hopes of making
> Ian's aio functions available in a more general form. Note that you are
> getting into platform-specific territory here, as the aio functions are
> part of the Unix VM code base

Thanks for this Good Point. I'm beginning to appreciate the utility
of not having to port..
As such it is probably not worth the effort.. I think I'll just do
polling via the FFI instead.

> As far as I know the equivalent Windows/RiscOS/etc functions are not available

Is this true?  Don't people need async I/O on Windows?

> (but of course it must be possible to do on any platform for which
> Tk/tcl is available).

I don't suppose anyone has tied squeak into the TCL event system? :)

thanks,
Daniel