OFF Topics :: PC-laptop or Powerbook

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Wed Oct 5 21:27:29 UTC 2005

>On the winXP side, I don't think PIV's are "portable". Pentium-M and PIII

>machines have loger battery life. And the performance is closer to that
of
>G4 powerbooks, because there are no G5 powerbooks.

You know, I don't know why Apple and the PowerPC are STILL so wrongly
characterized.  I have a Dell P4/3.0GHz with 1GB RAM running XP Pro SP2 at
work (the machine I am using at the moment), and my current personal
machine is an iBook G4 1.2 GHz with 768M RAM running 10.4.2.

On the Dell:

        0 tinyBenchmarks.

        '121904761 bytecodes/sec; 6356316 sends/sec'
        '120754716 bytecodes/sec; 6339168 sends/sec'
        '120868744 bytecodes/sec; 6350590 sends/sec'

On the iBook:

        0 tinyBenchmarks.

        '92552422 bytecodes/sec; 4149159 sends/sec'
        '92820884 bytecodes/sec; 4161047 sends/sec'
        '92418772 bytecodes/sec; 4121681 sends/sec'

So, let's see, the G4 is clocked at 0.4 * the P4, and yet the iBook
benchmarks at > 0.65 times the P4 based on sends and up to 0.75 times the
P4 based on bytecodes.  This was using the same Squeak 3.7 image on both
machines.  I know this is far from a rigorous benchmark, but it is
reflective of my general experience.

In general, my 1.2GHz G4 iBook feels every bit as fast as my 3.0 GHz P4
desktop, so I don't see where people are saying that the Mac will be
faster on Intel, and that Pentium is so much faster than PowerPC.  Based
on my experience, the G4 iBook outperforms any Pentium latptop and costs
at least $200 less than an "equivalent" Wintel laptop.

Where is everybody getting their "information" from?

Oh, and battery life - I regularly get over 5 hours out of the iBook.

To the original poster, if you get to pick the machine that your employer
is providing, for Squeak, I would recommend the Powerbook.  In fact,
unless there is some software that is Windows only, I would still
recommend the Powerbook.  If you care about numerical performance, Altivec
on a G4 is going to beat a Pentium most of the time, not even considering
the G5.

Ok, I don't want to fuel a Win vs. Mac fire here, but my opinion is that
the Powerbook is a much better computer than any Win laptop.  I voted with
my dollars in January when my Sony P3 laptop became too unreliable to
depend on anymore (after 4 years).

        -Dean