Distributed Objects

Michaël Piel piel at ensm-douai.fr
Mon Sep 5 10:20:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:47:20 -0500
Alan Grimes <alangrimes at starpower.net> wrote:

> Michaël Piel wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We have planned to make a distributed computing project and we want to use distributed objects in Squeak.
> >
> > I am currently making a synthesis and an evaluation of a few frameworks by comparing them with
> >various criterions. We imperatively need high-level distributed
> objects, like
> >"Distributed Smalltalk" for VisualWorks but in Squeak, and not just
> "sockets".
>
> > Here is the list of the frameworks we are testing :
> > - rST (Remote SmallTalk)
> > - RMT (Remote Messaging Toolkit)
> > - OperaORB-native
> > - Ma Client Server
>
> > I would like to know if there are other frameworks which could satisfy these criterions.
>
> Interesting, since paralellizing the VM is not practicable in the near
> term, I was looking into opportunities for factoring the functionality
> of the image into paralell, possibly distributed sub-systems. This has a
> number of drawbacks next to transparent multithreading, but shouldn't be
> quite as challenging on the implementation side... (the changes to the
> VM code are more superficial...)
>
> Could you provide links to the frameworks you mentioned above?

They are all on SqueakMap and/or SqueakSource, here are some links :
- rST : http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2288
- RMT : http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/94bba4b0-3b56-4af7-8a6e-5c4bb6a55e36
- OperaORB-native (based on RMT) : http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/b6fd0af9-5f51-4755-b647-6df64682e192 and http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/soapOpera/operaORB.html
- Ma Client Server : http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2978

If you are looking into paralellizing the image for distributed development you should be interesting in Magma (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2665), which is basically a multi-user object database, but can serve (with Monticello) as a basis for distributed development (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5602).

michael