TiddlyWiki

Alan Kay alan1 at fastmail.us
Wed Apr 12 20:57:50 UTC 2006

Hi David --

Takashi Yamamiya, Yoshiki Ohshima, and others are working on a
"WYSIwiki" in Squeak.

Also, there is a simple painting program done in JavaScript
http://caimansys.com/painter/ .

Cheers,

Alan

At 09:09 AM 4/12/2006, David Faught wrote:
I'm doing a personal journal/project notebook now using TiddlyWiki and
a few plugins. I keep it on a flash drive so that I can plug it in at
home or work.  I'm doing this instead of using a regular paper journal
because I keep thinking that there must be a technical advantage, just
as a word processing program has an advantage over a typewriter.

The TiddlyWiki has a lot of things going for it from a technical point
of view.  It is easy to update, read, search, reorganize, be made
available on the Internet, and operates locally with no server.  It's
small, currently only a couple hundred kilobytes including all the
JavaScript code that makes it work.  Of course it leverages all the
code in the web browser (not included) to make this happen.

A glaring thing that is missing from TiddlyWiki as compared to a paper
notebook is that there is not an easy, direct way to create and view
sketches or pictures.  There is one variation of TiddlyWiki that
includes SVG support, but it is set up to display charts and plots.
There is no interactive drawing capability. Right now, I'm using an
external paint program for this (leverage that external code again!),
which works okay but adds more files to track and somewhat attenuates
the creative flow of thought.

I know that there have been a few attempts to do local personal
journals in Squeak.  What would be the best current Squeak example of
a high function, technology-leveraged journal/notebook that is
portable and easily and optionally Internet web-accessible?  What
might be a good approach to building the ultimate electronic notebook?
 I'm not talking about a finished published work here, but rather an
interactive working partner.

So what do you think?
--
  Alan Kay