Looking for good souls

John Briggs john at johneb47.id.au
Mon Apr 24 09:24:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:34:08AM +0200, st?phane ducasse wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> You know what? I found you really conservative and sitting on your
> knowledge.
> Do you really want to stay in your private club, be dandy, do not
> invite anybody to learn and grow?
> Because you think that people are not afraid of our discussions? Really?
>
> May be this starter mailing-list will fail but I will have dare to
> try instead of staying with your
> certainty about life and facts.
>
> My GOAL IS NOT TO SPLIT SQUEAK_DEV. My goal is to give a chance to
> people
> that are afraid or do not want to receive sometimes 50 emails per day
> to communicate with us.
> These are years that because of technological aspects we did not
> create such a list.
>

> Here is what ralph told me, so either we do it publicly via
> squeakfondation as a normal and public list
> as the fact that we acknowledge that newcomers are ***welcome*** in
> our cool community, or I create
> a mailing in an obscure mail server and I will advertize it. I let
> you decide. But I will do it (you know me
> and I will fail and take the responsibility of this failure if it
> fails but at least I could be looking at this scar
> and be proud of it).

I have been monitoring this thread with some interest because I could see the
need for all users to be able to ask questions about squeak that would not fit
in with the discussions on the squeak-dev mailing list. After reading this
thread I believe the answer may be to create a squeak newsgroup. This would
have several advangtages:

1. All users can ask their questions there without fear or favour.
2. The experienced Squeakers could monitor the list and try to help when they
   feel able.
3. This would prevent an extra load on, and some separation from  the
   squeak-dev mailing list.
4. Discussions of a particular topic will be threaded and thus easier to
   follow.

I agree with Stephane that something like this should be instigated and is
very necessary for people to adopt squeak and try to use this marvellous
environment.

John