Monticello and live systems (was Re: 1 day left...)

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 07:42:12 UTC 2006

On Feb 25, 2006, at 10:04 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Aside from general tool irritations (basically morphic problems
> along with simple UI design failings) the only big annoyance I have
> with MC is the way that it violates a very longstanding idiom - so
> longstanding that I think you would find it encoded in my mRNA - of
> always running the class initialise method after loading changes to
> a class. I can't begin to think of the number of times I've been
> screwed by that.

MC runs the initialize method only when the initialize method itself
changes.  This is trying to mimic the semantics of changesets: if you
were distributing a changeset that included some methods on a class
but not the #initialize method, it wouldn't be run then either.  But
you're saying you want it to be run every time any method in the
class changes?   Or maybe that all initialize methods in the package
should be run any time the package changes?

Avi