Tweak mainstream in Squeak

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Fri Jul 7 10:57:59 UTC 2006

Andreas Raab wrote:

> "This plan" being to add Tweak to 3.9? Depends. For the "basic" image
> the answer is No. That's simply because I will not knowingly add to that
> 20MB whopper that is euphemistically called a "basic" image today. For a
> "full" version (which really just means that it'll be loadable via
> SqueakMap) that's something we can talk about. Which is not quite a yes,
> but thus far I haven't even looked at what it means to get Tweak into
> 3.9 and I am willing to re-evaluate this option.

Hi Andreas,

I think there are people who are interested in a system with Tweak that
is useable as an universal basis for:

- a personal desktop system.
- deploying a desktop application. That implies that special hardware
should not be needed, that the resulting image is reasonably small and
perhaps some flexibility in the UI look and feel.
- server applications that are developed and run in an UI-image but can
be shrunk down to a headless version if appropriate.
- something else not covered directly by the above points but imaginable
like e.g. a "browser-bootstrapped" application

Right now I guess there is some confusion or fear that you may target
only the personal desktop system like you do e.g. with Croquet. Of
course there is a road map at impara.de that looks promising, but I
think a little more affirmation about the universality of the announced
stand-alone Tweak and perhaps some updated temporal guidance would be
helpful to get people really interested -as in- getting them starting a
Tweak project.

Regards,
Martin