Squeak pros and cons from a casual user

Torsten Sadowski torsten.sadowski at tu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 10 15:06:39 UTC 2006

Hi Lethalman,

writing good code is a refinement of writing any code. Humans make errors and
the result of these errors in a stable system should not be catastrophic. I
tried running my calculations forked below the UI Process but this hung the
image all the same. A big problem are unintentional loops. Smalltalk can work
with fractions and some Morphs use these fraction and if they become large
Smalltalk can take virtually ages to complete a calculation.

Edgar, losing the image was luckily just a one time experience which made me
much more cautious. But I do run into the emergency evaluator from time to
time which can come as a shock to a new user. Imagine a kernel panic on the
first day with your bright new Mac.

Cheers, Torsten